Thursday, June 05, 2008

We left at 10 am (GA Time) with the temperature at 40 degrees. No winds this morning and no problems through Summit Pass.


We had twisting roads all day today. Frank and I both awakened with headaches... mine coming from my neck and Frank a sinus headache. The tension of driving the twisting roads did not help.


We stopped about 6 miles from Auburn at a grocery store to buy some bread. We decided to get fried chicken for dinner while in there. We came back out to the trailer to eat and when we came inside we found coffee everywhere. The cabinet came open and the big canister of coffee fell out... the canister that I thought I had wedged in there pretty good. The canister was full and half of it was all of over the floor and carpet. We swept up as much as we could and ate our dinner... had a couple of aspirin a piece to go with dinner.


Afte dinner... more twisting roads and then Auburn. The roads straightened a bit, but there was a good bit of traffic. The town is booming... new shopping complexes going up everywhere. The numbers $4.99 and diesel caught my eye... we managed to get into the gas station and purchase the gas. It is bad when that seems cheap for diesel :-D


Then we find highway 49.. it goes through a neighborhood and then it gets narrower and more twisting. We finally got to a better part of it. We got to Grassy Valley and decided to try and find the campground we saw mentioned in the campground book... it is at the Nevada County Fairgrounds. We arrived at 5 pm (GA Time). It is a mostly shady campground. The restrooms and showers are clean. There are lots of people camping here. We are in site 6.


After we got set up I got the vacuum stick out and started cleaning up more coffee. I think I worked at it over an hour.... sweeping and vacuuming. I think I need a better vacuum for the trailer. At home I use the brush that came with the dust pan to clean the fuzzy stuff off the vacuum filter.... I don't have one in the trailer, so I found a smushed up pine cone and used it to clean the filter. While I was doing this Frank was off visiting with the campground host... finding out our road will be no better tomorrow. The cabinets will be tied with string tomorrow morning.


We're running the ac. It was in the low 80s when we got here, but the sun was shining strongly on the trailer and it was a bit warm in here. We'll probably turn it off in a bit.


A surprise of WiFi... so Frank did more research on places to stay and I called Mama. Nice to hear her voice... will try to call her again Saturday.


Frank is reading Mark Twain now and I've been working on the journal.. maybe tomorrow pictures.


We traveled 216... very long... miles today.

No comments: