Thursday, July 17, 2008

We bought our permits to trout fish this morning. We fished a while, but no luck. I lost my hook.. caught it on the jetty.


For lunch today I cooked scalloped potatoes with brocolli. There was suppose to be ham in it, but I forgot about chopping the ham and by time I remembered I decided I was too lazy to chop it and added a little real cheese for extra protein. We ate the last of the apple salad.


After dinner we went exploring. We saw several deer in the park and outside of the park. We drove up to the visitor's center. It is a very nice visitor's center.


We drove around the Bull Shoals area and went into Flippin for gas at Wal-Mart. With card the gas was $4.63 a gallon. While at the vistor's center I broke my sunglasses. So we bought me a pair in Wal-Mart. We bought a roast chicken for tomorrow.


When we got back there was no one in the "good" fishing spot. Yesterday we watched a couple catch fish there... they are so cute. This is her first camping trip. He caught a Walleye and didn't have a stringer. He sent her to the car to look for one and she couldn't find it. He then told her to watch the fish while he looked. She held a small bucket in front of it. He couldn't find the stringer either, but found a plastic bag to put the fish in... he needed the bucket for water and then she put her foot on the fish.. grimacing the whole time. He got the walleye in the plastic bag and put it in the cold water. This was her first expeience with trout fishing and had caught a couple.. usually catching a fish soon after he caught one.



We hurried up and put things away and got our gear together and fished in the "good" fishing spot. The sun was shining good and hot when we started fishing... that is why no one was in the "good" fishing spot. I think get started fishing a little bit after 6 pm (CT). At about a quarter after 7 pm I caught a little rainbow trout. It sure took a lot of throwing and reeling to finally catch one and I honestly thought to start with that I had hung my hook on the grass (in the water) for about the thousanth time. I did a lot of hanging my hook on the grass and on the rocks (that were in the water) and on the one bush that is on the shoreline in that area.


We stayed until about 8:30.. the fog had already started rolling in. The river we are fishing on is called the White River and they say that is how if got its name. The fog is very white and lays close to the river. Sometimes your can hear the fishing boats out there, but can't see them. When the fog hits you it is like walking into an icy cold air conditioned room. The water is clear and cold.


The couple that was there last night took our spot. They are from Texas and she has folks around Jacksonville Florida. He is a school teacher. He teaches inner city children that are members of gangs. He says they are members of gangs because it isn't safe at home... even with two parents at home. He tries to make a difference in their lives.


The trout is in the freezer and we've had our showers and we checked on the cute couple.... he caught a nice rainbow trout. They are renting a boat tomorrow and touring the lake.


A Jack Benny tape is playing and my hair is almost dry enough to go to bed.

No comments: