Thursday, May 15, 2008

We left Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge (Doris Campground) at 9:20 (GA Time). We were delayed a bit by the resident bull buffalo :-) The ground was a bit muddy from the rain the night before.


I'm afraid I can't tell you a whole lot about the scenery... I slept a lot.


As we left the refuge it was beautiful looking towards the East... but hard for me to turn my head that way. The sun on the prairie grass and wildflowers was beautiful. We saw the usual critters of buffalo, longhorns and prairie dogs.... no elk :-(


Just outside the refuge there were cattle ranches and wheat (or possibly another grain) glimmering in the morning sun. We saw a crop duster.


There were cedar trees dotting the rolling hills. We stopped at a monument for people who died in a school fire... Babbs School I think. It happened in the early 1900s. A candle on a Christmas tree started the deadly fire... 35 people perished. Frank video taped the sign and a bit of the scenery around... including the wildflowers we had been seeing on the roadside. It was so chilly out that I didn't get my camera out and take pictures.


We stopped at a rest area about 35 miles south of Woodward and ate sandwiches. We got gas in Woodward for $4.24 gallon.


As we came close to Ft. Supply we saw wind turbines in the distance.


We arrived at Ft. Supply Campground (Oklahoma) at 2:30 (GA Time). We are in site # 19 on the lake side. There are lots of Canada Geese here guarding their young. We've already been hissed at... hopefully we won't get attacked. It is a miracle to walk and not step in their droppings :-)


I managed to get two of the folders of photos that we took at the refuge copied onto disc, but I couldn't get the third one to copy. Each folder is about 650 MB :-) I got frustrated and will try again tomorrow.


I did my shoulder exercises with the ball and one of the other campers (Lynn Parsons) came up and gave me his card to give to Frank... they are from Oregon. They have about a 40 ft. fifth wheel they stay in. I notice there was a network available for the Internet and it is from them... but you have to a password to get access and I'm not going to ask them for a password. Maybe we'll stop at McDonalds before we leave here and I can send all these boring happenings to the family.


Frank had snuck off to the office. I decided to walk the loop and I found him coming out of the office and he finished walking the loop with me. We saw a pair of Loggerhead Shrikes and a pair of Killdeer. We also saw an oriole. I'll have to have Frank look at the book to see which one it was... I can't remember all the markings. I think it is either a Orchard or Baltimore Oriole. I'm leaning toward Orchard if I remembered the color correctly.


When we first set up we could get a few channels on the tv pretty good... now none. Frank looked and some of the cables weren't real tight and he tightened them... but no change. He even tried different cables and still no tv signal. We'll ask the hosts if there is an RV repair place tomorrow.


We went up to get our showers a bit ago and it was sprinkling rain... it was still sprinkling when we came out. We had a small shower and then a break. It is a steady shower now... no thunder and lightning yet.


We traveled 172 miles today.

It is 7:30 pm and it is raining lightly with the sun peaking out...the wind has picked up some. There is a double rainbow. Frank is trying to capture it on the camcorder and cameras.

No comments: