Sunday, May 18, 2008

We left Ft. Supply at 8:50 amm (GA time).

As we left the campground we saw several turkeys... and I think what I saw bounding through the thick brush was a pair of rabbits. I saw an oriole before we left, but they just do not want their picture taken. I think the two varieties were Orchard and Baltimore.


Not far from Ft. Supply (town.. more like a spot in the road) there were some wind turbines. The terrain for a while after Ft. Supply was rolling prairie hills with cattle dotting them. Wherever you see trees is where a house is or was.. there are some fairly new plantings of juniper/cedar in rows. There were wheat field too. We saw a coyote not far from Ft. Supply.

We had a close call. I was looking at the cattle that were next to the fence by the highway and all of a sudden Frank is putting on brakes... a slight bit harder than gentle :-) There was a bull in front of us. He saw or heard us and quickly got off the road. I am sure glad that we didn't hit him... he was x-large. This happened a bit before we reached Balko Oklahoma. Shortly after that I saw a jack rabbit sitting by the edge of the road.


We stopped at a rest area (that is just one picnic table with shelter over it) near the Texas County line close to Hardesty Oklahoma to stretch our legs. A beautiful meadowlark was singing. I think Frank captured him on the camcorder. He got scared off by some traffic by time I got my camera... I may have a distant shot of him. Such a beautiful voice.


We bought gas in Guymon Oklahoma for $4.39 a gallon.


We saw some antelope a few miles out from Guymon and saw a few more along the way. Maybe we will get a good picture of one before the trip is over... one can hope :-D


We bought gas in Clayton New Mexico for $4.49 a gallon.


We decided not to take a chance on the state park. We figured it would cost about the same to find it (ten miles off the beaten path) as this KOA campground. We arrived here at 2:15 (GA Time... it is Mt. Time here... it is two hours earlier here than GA).


It is not the best campground, but a place to stay. It took us an hour to figure out how to get the trailer level. We were hot and sweaty and frustrated by time we finished. We didn't eat dinner until after setting up.... leftovers from yesterday.


There is cable tv.. yeah! news and weather and Indiana Jones :-) The showers are spotless here. I have an internet connection too. The sites are graveled and unlevel... we're in 21c. Very few trees. We can still smell cattle... there is a road behind the campground and I think there are cattle or horse in the pasture.


I'm sure the evening will consist of watching Indiana Jones and resting up for the ride tomorrow. We both took a cat nap after dinner.


The road was rough on us today... my back (kidney area) got beat up pretty good. I can only imagine what the pioneers went through riding on their wagons and horses over this terrain.


We traveled 221 miles today.


I got a chance to look the bird up that we kept thinking was a shrike... it is a White-tailed Kite. The book we have is a bit confusing... it didn't show the eye marking not that the bird was in Oklahoma. I found a site with pictures of Oklahoma birds and ID the bird that way.

No comments: